Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
3. Camp Boreal: Homebred for Larry Jones drops to win.
4. Silvertron: Shows some nice works for low key barn.
2. Wahine Bling: Looks like the 5.5 distance on turf if just right.
6. Get em up Girl: Win machine on turf and dirt and in form now.
7. Coteau Jozi: Not getting off this one now — running fast as ever.
2. Lady Grantham: Downton fans will be all over this runner.
9. Voodoo Spell: Has been brilliant over this turf course.
4. Expecting Cash: Runs into a monster in top choice today.
5. Rise Up: Always thought this one was a stone cold sprinter — faces salty group today.
2. Bet Seattle: Not much of a drop down even though this is not a stakes.
1. Kite: Big race behind nice winner and found a spot of trouble in last.
9. Castlederg: Good first out over summer on turf.
2. Galveston Harbor: Might be late to the wedding on this one but won in nice fashion last out.
1. Indycott: Has run too fast to lose in last couple — finds easier foes today.
5. Reflector: No shame in finishing behind Voodoo Spell and he is not in here today.
4. Hawks Image: Better than last and gets Flo Go on board for today’s run.
9. Forest Elf: Ran behind aforementioned Voodoo and blinkers seemed to have helped.
4. River Waik: In a seemingly talentless race — going for the 2nd timer.
2. Steller Saint: Off a big layoff but did display some giddyup when last seen.
Around the Track
Race 5 today comes up as tough as a stakes race with some very fast horses in there with recent Louisiana Sprint champ Too Dim facing off against Delta Jackpot winner and Woodchopper winner Rise Up. Bet Seattle — also a stakes winner — looks to improve off his comebacker, but finds tough competition. I’ve always thought Rise Up could be a major player in the sprint division and Amoss puts him in here and I expect him to run very well. Don’t forget there is racing tomorrow at the Fair Grounds on their Monday schedule.
Our best bet on Sunday will be in Race 8 — let’s do an exacta box here with our top 3 choices — 4-5-9 as this should hit and offer some value in a contentious race. Good luck and may they all come home safely.