Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
Picks made today for fast track and on turf.
6. Ty’s Bandit: Drops back to lower level trying Albarado again.
2. Wildcat Friendship: Moss/Amoss connection hard not to like at this low class level.
5. Jove Jove Dive: Dropping in class this grey will improve 3rd start off layoff.
7. Mr. Green Girl: Pedroza road to victory last out at higher class level.
5. Sunny Oak: Add blinkers gets familiar Mena aboard looking to advance.
1. Sweet Pea Mama Ve: Albarado moves up in class for 3rd trip after breaking maiden.
4. Lady Loretta: Albarado aboard another player today.
5. Stackoleena: Amoss/Graham hot of late looking to get picture taken yet again.
Off turf selections: 6-1.
1. Jenny Vignette: Rail post will help trip if gets moderate pace will wire field.
5. Miss Monroe: Coming off two good efforts steps up a bit in class.
3. Kitchen Boss: Roussel trained/owned bred by Ramsey drops in class on grass.
7. Bethany Belle: Midwest owned drops in class third off layoff.
Off turf selections: 7-5.
2. Mageez: Tries Murrill looking to improve going back to dirt.
5. Classy Bird: Torres coming off 7-length maiden victory.
7. Voodoo Spell: Grey off sharp workout and has hit board in last 10.
9. Frontier Warrior: If gets slow pace has shot to use speed over the 7.
Off turf selections: 9-2.
3. Kat Scat: Sire Scat Daddy aided by Graham in reigns.
2.: Grand Bayou: Will run mid pack with shot in weak field.
Around the Track
Two days until the highly anticipated running of the Veterans Ford Risen Star Stakes where leading Kentucky Derby hopefuls from out of town invade to take on the locals led by GMB Racings Mo Tom and Tom’s Ready trained by New Orleanians Tom Amoss and Dallas Stewart, respectively. In the overall trainer standings, Mike Stidham leads all conditioners with 26 wins followed by Brad Cox, Joe Sharp and Tom Amoss with 22, 20 and 20, respectively.
Our best bet today will be in Race 8 — No. 7 Voodoo Spell. Horse has hit the board more consistently than any horse on the day. Good luck and may they all come home safely.