Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
Picks made today for fast track and off turf.
1. Gimme Yo Number: Moves outside to inside and changes jockey for this.
8. Etbauers Sue: What looks like massive drop is actually back to right level.
1-1a. I’m a Looker or Corinthian: Either looks good in this spot on dirt.
7. Harbour Island: on dirt only: Looks good for the comeback race.
On turf selections: 1a-4
1. Southern Wind: Moves to rail: drops in class: looks like at a price.
4. Vivacious VV: Has nice win over the track faces winners for first time.
1a. Leroidessmeaux: Been a fan of this one and trainer Scherer takes back over.
5. Prime Cuvee: Broberg drops to reasonable spot for a win.
On turf selections: 8-3
3. Cad: Looks to be controlling speed in a race that favors early pace.
7. Pescatore: Gets a second crack at a distance and a big rider upgrade.
2. Euroboss: Training like a good thing in the morning on dirt for Stidham.
9. Jokasa: Was facing some nice fillies in Kentucky and running well.
On turf selections: 2-8
6. Sweet Hall: Looks to have an edge in speed and class over these rivals.
1. Baby Girl Samantha: With a good sharp break can contend at a price.
5. Stormdriver: Loaded race here so can’t take less than 4-1 here.
8. Social Misfit: Has the speed to get good position and contend at a price.
On turf selections: 5-7
- inth race
5. Appomatox Station: Lightly raced bet down in last with some trouble: worth a shot.
8. Geraldton: Looks like he could get the lead here and that is valuable at this level.
Around the Track
Let’s take a look at Chok’s Choices selection performance over the first seven weeks of the season to start off the week. We’ll use a racing term to describe our start to the meet — “dwelt” — meaning we are slow to get out of the gate. The first week of 2016 was quite a roller coaster ride with two disqualifications of winners and an 18-1 dead heat winner that paid 5-1 instead of boxcars.
Here are the current results:
588-102-121-71 — 16 per cent winners and a ROI of .61.
On the bright side our “unders” — the horses picked second in the selections are performing very well at generous odds. Keep the faith and the selections will revert to the mean and heat up — hopefully.
Our best bet today will be in Race 8 — No. 5 Stormdriver. Faced off with top class company in last and did not disgrace. Gets a tough group today, but can handle on turf or dirt. Good luck and may they all come home safely.