Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
2. Notimeforthat: Very likely winner of this heat with P Val on the comeback.
1. Grand Venezualan: Ambitiously placed first out comes back with Lasix and shades on the drop — live player.
1. Idol Cat: Comes back at lower level than claim for potent combo of Moss/Amoss.
2. Chad Be Glad: Fits like a glove with these and just forget the last race.
1. Cajun Maid: Coming off a layoff and trainer good with these.
6. Miss Rubys Legacy: Showed some promise here last year before being shelved.
4. Good Gator: Took to the turf and has room for more improvement.
6. Avery Lynn: Two time turf winner is a strong contender.
4. Jslookoveryourshoulda: Last was just a comeback — tight for this one.
2. Cupids Hit: Reunites with rider Eramia and comes back to right distance.
1. Fila Primera: Trainer has been on fire and is fast and one the rail.
8. No Flowers: A turf specialist is fastest but needs to work out a trip.
9. Venus de Milo: Will be going for the lead and might go all the way.
4. Hes All Mine: Has run two encouraging races going a mile.
2. Krafty Boy: Ran in maiden claim at Keeneland but race came up tough.
2. Unbridled Courage: Ran against some really nice ones in last and gets best distance.
4. D’Boldest: A speedball will try to take competitors gate to wire.
- inth race
5. Russian Partisan: Is slower than some of these but has most upside.
7. Top of the Page: Strictly the horse to beat first off the claim for Sharp.
1. Prime Ide: Ran into a nice heat in last — been working well following that test.
6. Ship Ahoy: Has run in spots but needs to put it all together for a full race.
Around the Track
Chok’s Choices has started off the meet slowly as usual. During the first few weeks we take a look at the track surfaces to try and decipher whether they are favoring speed or closers and that includes the turf course. Tread lightly with the selections through next week and then we will start to click with some longer prices and more selections.
Our best bet today will be in Race 6 — with an exacta box. Let’s box the 1-8-9 with an extra ticket 1 over the 8-9. Good luck, and may they all come home safely.