Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
Picks made today for fast track and on turf
6. La Reina Isabel: Very handy win last out and should get a good trip.
5. Miso Smooth: Another who figures to benefit from pace battle.
11. Magic Notion: Beat lesser but DQed in last but was visually impressive.
1. Freedom Fathers: Strong long shot chance in here.
8. Street Rhythm: Likely winner off near miss in last.
4. Hiteckboogie: Gonna have to run this one down on the lead with PVal in saddle.
8. Nightlife Baby: Came back super strong but drops down in price.
8. Include Indycat: Nothing really wrong with last and trainer keeps at same level.
4. War Point: Deserves another shot on turf — ran very well in last dirt start — good works.
2. Sylvias Warrior: Good works — hottest trainer at the track — talented.
5. Political Justice: No knocks — will be out trying to take these gate to wire.
1. Sevenoaks: Should get nice pace setup as lone speed here on rail.
8. Bel Air Bullet: Can sit right behind the pace and pounce when ready to roll.
9. Taking Charge: Blinkers might have moved this one up a bit — take note.
3. Northwest Tale: Big maiden win over stout group last at CD — could be nice one.
1. Lovable Lyss: Repeat of last in slop wins this but was it wet track or talent?
4. Abtaal: If he runs his race he will be right there at the wire.
10. Kilz: Last few turf efforts have been nice — second life on the grass.
7. Grand Contender: Diliberto winner last year back in for tag for Amoss.
- inth race
2. Nanosecond: First timer had a rocket work here last week — ready to fire.
4. Jensen: One of two Cowboy Jones first timers and this one looks best.
Around the Track
We had an absolutely horrendous week with our top choices the past four racing days. However, the second picks did surprisingly well, but we are most definitely in an early meet slump so tread lightly with these picks until we heat up a bit. Here are the meet totals: 158-28-31-19 = 18 percent (return of 183.40 for every 2 dollar win bet).
Our best bet today will be in Race 9 — No. Nanosecond. This one has been working stoutly and is bred to run fast early so we will take a shot and get out the day with this one as our best bet. Good luck and may they all come home safely.