Picks made for FAST track and ON turf
5. Lukie Joe: Two good efforts, and Graham sticks with this one to ride.
1. Saint Dominic: Gets the rail after running second in last but moves up in class.
1. Shazoom: Second try after being bet heavily first out versus better.
4. Fire Lake: $100k purchase hasn’t yet panned out for potent Moss/Amoss combo.
5. Rapid Rhythm: Fits nice high-percentage profile for Stidham winners.
7. Maziette: Nice win in last over the dirt course needs to transfer to turf.
1. Scarecrow: Claimed out of last by Asmussen and gets the rail setup.
2. Scitech: Think this one has a bit more to show after brutal trip in last.
2. Spartanburg: Will need some pace help up front but fits with this and jock change.
7. Good Gator: Another one who needs luck for closing kick but will be closer than top choice.
11. Skitz: Needs to work out a trip, but the drop helps this one in this field.
7. Love Tree: Has won before but was disqualified. So he’s got that going for him, which is nice.
13. I’m a Lawman: Ran into a couple next out winners in first; trainer having stellar meet.
1: Victory Arch: Ran second to nice colt, and turf should help performance.
4. Perpetrator: Trainer has very solid numbers with second-time starters, and turf helps.
2. Sweet Miss Lou: Looks to get the lead and be tough to run down from up front.
5. Smooth Caramel: Big effort with addition of blinkers beating some of these.
2. Warriorscmoutoplay: Training like a good thing in the morning and perfect running style.
9. Sugar Sweet: Loves this turf course and is coming off a layoff for Roussel.
13. Stoupinator: Distance might be a bit short for this one’s closing kick.
Around the track
Happy Mardi Gras to all. A fine edition of the Mardi Gras Handicap is on tap with a full field of fillies and mares trying the sprint distance on the turf. One I didn’t pick but who is a horse to watch is Leigh Court, who was one of the favorites for the Breeders’ Cup Filly Sprint in 2014. She is still in training and, if right, will win the race today. Another to keep an eye on is Sugar Sweet, a filly who blitzed foes in two turf tries here last year. It’s a very competitive group, so look for a bit of value in your wagers.
Our best bet today will be in Race 9 with an exacta box. Let’s try to get the Mardi Gras exacta with a box of the 2-9-13 and a trifecta box of 2-4-9-13. Good luck, and may they all come home safely.