Anthony Davis suffers a concussion as Pelicans’ winning streak ends with 112-111 loss to Rockets _lowres

Associated Press photo by Max Becherer -- Pelicans forward Anthony Davis grabs a rebound against Houston Rockets forward Clint Capela in the first half Monday in the Smoothie King Center. Davis was forced to leave the game with a concussion in the second quarter after taking an elbow to the temple from teammate Tyreke Evans.

Pelicans forward Anthony Davis was forced to leave the floor when he was elbowed in the temple by Pelicans’ guard Tyreke Evans on a rebound attempt late in the second quarter of Monday night’s game against the Houston Rockets.

Davis was pronounced as unable to return due to a concussion and it’s unclear how long he will miss.

The NBA’s concussion protocol lays out a detailed map of what a player must be able do to return to action which includes a stationary bike, jogging, agility work and non-contact drills.

“Once a player is diagnosed with a concussion he is then held out of all activity until he is symptom-free at rest,” the NBA official regulations state, “and until he has no appreciable difference from his baseline neurological exam and his baseline score on the computerized cognitive assessment test.”

The NBA specifically says there is no specific timetable a player must sit out due to a concussion.

“While the final return-to participation decision is to be made by the player’s team physician,” the regulations state, “the team physician must discuss the return-to-participation process and decision with Dr. Jeffrey Kutcher, the Director of the NBA’s Concussion Program, prior to the player being cleared for full participation in NBA Basketball.”

Davis scored nine points and had six rebounds with 1:06 remaining in the second quarter, but was taken out by friendly fire when both he and Evans jumped for an uncontested defensive rebound and Evans’ elbow struck Davis in the head.

Davis laid on the floor for several minutes while he was examined by medical staff under the basket. He was able to walk off the court on his own power but was seen grabbing his head and took the quickest possible exit off of the floor.

The Advocate will report more details as they become available.