The New Orleans Saints will release cornerback Chris Carr, the player’s agent said Friday on Twitter. Neither the team nor the league immediately confirmed the transaction; however, it could be an indication that the Saints are planning to remove linebacker Jonathan Vilma from short-term injured reserve and place him on the 53-man roster.

The Saints’ visit to the New York Jets on Sunday marks the first time Vilma is eligible to play after starting the season on IR with a designation to return. On Friday, he didn’t discuss the Saints’ plans for him, and the team did not either.

Carr, a nine-year veteran in the NFL, played 93 snaps of defense and some special teams for New Orleans (6-1) in the five games between Sept. 22 and Oct. 27, breaking up two passes and picking off one. He posted four solo tackles and assisted on another one.

After tweeting that his client had been cut, agent Buddy Baker wrote that people should expect to see Carr “playing again soon as he was playing very well (and) can help so many teams.”

For his part, Vilma underwent arthroscopic knee surgery in mid-August and began practicing again Oct. 21.

“I know I’m feeling good running around, and I think I look good on film,” Vilma said following practice Friday. “(But) it’s really up to coach (Sean Payton) to decide when I can play.”

Vilma joked that he didn’t “want to come in and mess ... up” the chemistry of a Saints defense that’s allowing the fourth-fewest points in the NFL per game (17.1), but he acknowledged he was eager to chip in with some plays of his own soon.

“It’s one of those you want to get in because you feel like you can contribute, but at the same time, they’re doing a great job,” Vilma said.