Seahawks defeat Saints 23-15 in NFC Divisional Playoff _lowres

Advocate staff photo by MATTHEW HINTON-- New Orleans Saints outside linebacker Junior Galette (93) reacts as the final minutes tick away in the 23-15 loss in a NFL NFC divisional football playoff game between the New Orleans Saints and the Seattle Seahawks at Century Link Field in Seattle, Wash. Saturday, Jan. 11, 2014.

Seattle did it again.

Playing through sun, wind and rain, the Seahawks and the elements ended the Saints season on Saturday.

Seattle defeated New Orleans 23-15 in a NFC Divisional Playoff game.

Seattle running back Marshawn Lynch rushed for a team-playoff record 140 yards and two touchdowns on 28 carries.

The Saints finished the season with a 12-6 record.

Seattle will host the winner of the San Francisco-Carolina game on Sunday in next week's NFC Championship game.

It was the second time Seattle defeated the Saints this season. The Seahawks won 34-7 in the regular season.

Seattle led 3-0 when placekicker Steven Hauschka hit a 38-yard field goal four plays after Saints' safety Rafael Bush was penalized for an illegal hit on Seahawks receiver Percy Harvin.

Hauschka muscled a 50-yard field goal through the goalposts before the end of the first quarter to make the score 6-0. The score came on a possession after a missed field goal by the Saints' Shayne Graham.

Another miscue by the Saints led to the first touchdown of the game. New Orleans running back Mark Ingram fumbled at the team's 24-yard line on the first play of the second quarter. Lynch bounced and bruised his way up the middle for a 15-yard touchdown run two plays later to make the score 13-0 with 14:17 left in the second quarter.

Hauschka hit his third field goal of the half, this time a 26-yard field goal, which made the score 16-0 with 1:18 remaining.

The Saints trailed 16-0 at halftime, marking the first time the team's history that it had been shutout in the first half of a playoff game.

The Saints finally scored when Khiry Robinson scored on a 1-yard touchdown run with 13:11 left in the game. Mark Ingram ran up the middle for the two-point conversion to make the score 16-8.

The Saints had a chance to cut the lead in the last five minutes of the game when they drove to the Seattle 30-yard line, but the team was stopped on offense and forced in a 48-yard field goal, which Graham missed wide left.

The Seahawks clinched the victory when Lynch ran 31 yards for a touchdown to make the score 23-8 with 2:40 left.

Saints quarterback Drew Brees threw a 9-yard touchdown pass to Marques Colston with 26 seconds left for the final score of the game.

Colston recovered an onside kick, but the Saints couldn't score to send the game to overtime.