Saints guard Tim Lelito tells WWL he turned down Cowboys offer, likely will remain in New Orleans _lowres

 

Saints guard Tim Lelito believes he’ll be back in New Orleans.

Lelito, who was offered a one-year, $1.67 tender by the Saints as a restricted free agent this offseason, told WWL on Sunday that it looks like he’ll sign that tender, barring a big-money, last-minute offer from another team.

Lelito, who is coming off of a season where he started 13 games for New Orleans, turned down an offer from Dallas that would have made him a backup.

“You have to weigh your options and it’s a gamble,” he said. “So you can go somewhere else and be a backup for a couple years with less money or you can try to go into a one-year tender and do the best you can and hopefully come out with a little better contract after it.”

The Grand Valley State product should be able to compete for a starting job in New Orleans after the Saints’ decision to release Jahri Evans earlier this offseason.

With Evans gone, New Orleans has options in Lelito, Senio Kelemete and possibly 2015 first-round pick Andrus Peat for two spots, and the Saints could still add a guard through the draft.

New Orleans considered signing a guard in free agency before ultimately making its big free-agent purchase at tight end with Coby Fleener.

For Lelito’s full comments, check out the story over at WWL.