Former Saints running back Reggie Bush is still looking for a home for the 2016 season.
But even though a Bush return in New Orleans came close to materializing last year, a return isn’t likely this time around due to the team’s depth at running back.
Bush’s 2015 season with the San Francisco 49ers was cut short in November when he slipped on the concrete at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis and tore his ACl. Now, Bush is looking for a chance to come back and finish his career on a better note.
“I’m sure he’s going to play this year,” Payton said in a Monday appearance on The Rich Eisen Show. “I don’t know if our roster is going to allow that right now.”
New Orleans already has plenty of options at the satellite back role Bush plays in Payton’s offense. C.J. Spiller is back and fully healthy, the Saints still have Travaris Cadet and New Orleans has spent two consecutive seventh-round picks on Marcus Murphy and Daniel Lasco, who both have the skill set to play the role.
Bush was a better option for the Saints a year ago, when the team met with its former star in California.
“It got close,” Payton said. “And it never finalized itself.”