Saints training camp preview: Six players on the roster bubble _lowres

Advocate staff photo by Rusty Costanza -- New Orleans Saints quarterback, Ryan Griffin, throws a pass during practice at Saints Camp in Metairie.

.

The day after the news broke that Ryan Griffin had been attacked with a bottle ten days before, the Saints quarterback met with the media.

And he made sure to take off his hat initially, allowing reporters to see the faint outline of a scar on his upper forehead and his nose.

Griffin, who confirmed that the injury had required 50 stitches to close a wound delivered by a champagne bottle at 1:50 a.m. on June 7 at Apres Lounge, a Central Business District club.

“I just wanted you guys to see my face,” Griffin said. “Everything looks fine. My plastic surgeon must have gone to Tulane. They did a great job.”

Griffin was struck with the bottle after bumping into some men at the bar. According to Griffin’s lawyer, Justin Reese, the quarterback was an innocent bystander and a victim of assault and battery.

According to both Reese and Griffin, the New Orleans Police Department is still investigating the incident.

“It was an unfortunate situation that happened, I’m trying to get it handled quickly and easily,” Griffin said. “As soon as it happened, I notified the Saints and have been telling them anything and everything that’s happened so far. My attorney, Justin Reese, is handling all the legal matters and we are both cooperating fully with law enforcement. My main focus right now is football, and doing whatever I can to help this team and get better and get ready for training camp.”

Griffin declined to discuss any further details, citing the ongoing investigation.

“I wish I wouldn’t have to go through it,” Griffin said.

“But it’s a learning experience.”