WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W. Va. — Notes and observations from Sunday’s practice:
Rookie up: It looks like Stephone Anthony has worked his way onto the first-team defense. With Dannell Ellerbe back in action, the first-round pick remained in the starting lineup. David Hawthorne was demoted to the second team. Anthony has performed well throughout camp and has earned the opportunity to try and retain the role.
Peat at left guard: Andrus Peat has had an eventful camp. It continued Sunday with the rookie tackle moving inside to play left guard. Coach Sean Payton explained the team wants to get a look at Peat at various spots but expects his primary role to be at tackle. Peat struggled a bit with the new new technique, losing all three of his reps in one-on-ones at the position. He won his fourth rep at left tackle.
Kicker battle: The race continues to win the kicker job. Both Dustin Hopkins and Zach Hocker nailed all of their kicks, with the longest ones coming from 59 yards. With both players connecting from that distance, the players won a bet and the coaches had to run sprints after practice. Hopkins is yet to miss a field goal in camp.
Return game: A new development in the return game: Willie Snead is now returning punts. The receiver has been a bright spot throughout camp and it appears the team is trying to give him opportunities to win a job. He did, however, drop a pass on Sunday, his first of camp.
First slip for Snead: Willie Snead has been lighting up practice after practice. He had his first misstep today. After catching 12 of the first 13 passes thrown to him in team drills, Snead finally dropped a pass today.
Drew Brees passing
1. Incomplete (Bobby Richardson pressure; 2.56 seconds to throw)
2. Complete to Marques Colston (screen, Delvin Breaux tackle)
3. Complete to Marques Colston (crossing route, 2.22 to throw, Keenan Lewis tackle)
4. Complete to Marques Colston (out route, 2.08 to throw)
5. Complete to Khiry Robinson (out route, 1.28 to throw, Stephone Anthony tackle)
6. Incomplete (under pressure, 2.09 seconds)
7. Complete to Josh Morgan (one-handed catch over Kyle Wilson, 2.56 seconds)
8. Incomplete to Nick Toon (Broken up by Keenan Lewis, 2.83 seconds)
Luke McCown passing
1. Incomplete to Joe Morgan (1.79 to throw; broken up by Delvin Breaux)
2. Complete to Josh Morgan (hitch, 2.22 to throw, Stanely Jean-Baptiste tackle)
3. Complete to Joe Morgan (2.75 to throw, Brian Dixon tackle, Tyeler Davison pressure)
4. Incomplete (2.80 to throw, batted down by Ramon Humber, Tyeler Davison and Kasim Edebali pressure)
Ryan Griffin passing
1. Incomplete to Kevin Brock (screen, drop)
2. Incomplete to Ben Watson (drop)
3. Sack by Ramon Humber (3.28 seconds, missed blitz pick up by Tim Hightower)
4. Sack by Anthony Spencer (3.22 seconds)
Garret Grayson passing
1. Sacked by Henry Coley (2.25 to sack)
2. Scramble (Lawrence Virgil, Kaleb Eulls presure)
3. Complete (screen, Travis Manning tackle)
4. Complete to Ben Watson (check down, 2.63 to throw)
5. Complete to Kyle Prater (seam, 1.97 seconds)
6. Incomplete to Willie Snead (dropped, Kyle Wilson coverage, 2.16 seconds)
8. Sack by Jerry Franklin