New Orleans Saints quarterback Ryan Griffin recently received 50 stitches after being struck with a champagne bottle at a Central Business District club earlier this month.
Police are actively investigating the matter and have not yet made an arrest. Griffin’s lawyer, Justin Reese, said Griffin was a victim of assault and battery and did nothing to prompt the attack.
“It was a very unfortunate incident,” Reese said.
The incident occurred at Apres Lounge on Fulton Street at 1:50 a.m. June 7, according to police. Griffin bumped into some men in the bar and was then struck over the head with a bottle, causing facial lacerations.
Griffin, 25, did not take part in the Saints’ organized team activity last Wednesday. He was back on the field for Tuesday’s mandatory minicamp practice. The former Tulane standout is battling with Luke McCown and Garrett Grayson to be the Saints’ backup quarterback.
In a statement released by a team spokesman, the Saints said they are aware of the incident.
“We are aware of the situation and the matter is under investigation,” a Saints spokesman said. “Ryan has been exemplary as a Saint, and he has our full support.”
Reese declined to offer further comment on the situation, citing the ongoing investigation.
“Currently, we are unable to comment on the details of what happened due to the impending investigation by the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD),” Reese said in an issued statement. “We are confident that NOPD will do everything in their power to find the assailant, and bring this matter to justice.”
Griffin signed with the Saints as an undrafted free agent following the 2013 draft. He spent some time on the 53-man roster during his rookie season after the St. Louis Rams attempted to sign him. Griffin lost out to McCown for the backup job in 2014 and spent the season on the practice squad.