Shortly after 11 p.m. Sunday, protesters blocked part of Siegen Lane in Baton Rouge until about 1 a.m., prompting East Baton Rouge sheriff's deputies to line the street in riot gear, opposite the protesters. Read the full story
Hundreds of people in a crowd Baton Rouge Police estimated at near 1,000, marched peacefully from Baton Rouge's Galvez Plaza to the steps of the State Capitol, Sunday, May 31, 2020, to protest the death of George Floyd, who died recently while handcuffed in custody of Minneapolis Police. Read the full story
Emergency crews were called to a fire late Sunday night at a local business off Siegen Lane. It took nearly two hours to fully contain it, officials said. Read the full story
Hundreds of demonstrators marched to the State Capitol on Sunday, waving signs as they shouted the name "George Floyd," a Minneapolis man who was seen on video gasping for breath as a police officer kneeled on his neck for nearly eight minutes before he died. Read the full story
Baton Rouge Local Events
- Our Views: Hurricane Center forecasts will be better this year. Here's how
- Hey, Who-Dat Nation! Check out these hilarious Dome naming ideas in Walt Handelsman's latest cartoon caption contest!
- Letters: Y mishandled closings: She won't donate again
- Letters: Legislators' contentions show lack of intellectual honesty
- Letters: Strict rules for the poor, polite requests for the wealthy
- Our Views: Years later, court confirms Iran’s sins against Marine, family
- James Gill: Is Tony Spell a man of God or a hustler? Here's why he is both.
- Dan Fagan: LaToya Cantrell says, 'There’s no bad idea.' But she has several of them.