Even as many public schools stay closed thanks to concerns about the novel coronavirus, the 31 Catholic schools in the Diocese of Baton Rouge are busy reopening not just for part of the week, but for daily instruction. Read the full story
- Why are Catholic schools in Baton Rouge reopening in August? Melanie Palmisano explains
- Will they or won't they? Louisiana teachers deciding whether to work in reopened schools
- Reopening rules of Louisiana public schools: BESE votes in face mask, social distancing policies
- How do Baton Rouge school parents feel about avoiding daily in-person classes in August?
- John Bel Edwards said Louisiana coronavirus cases may be plateauing -- but at a 'really high number'
The month of August would normally signal parents and students to think about finishing up school supply shopping, figuring out class schedules and getting over those back-to-school jitters. Read the full story
Hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for coronavirus has "absolutely no benefit" and "proves to be ineffective," Dr. Chris Thomas, a pulmonary and critical care doctor at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center in Baton Rouge, said in an interview Monday. Read the full story
Greg Stringfellow is in charge of a difficult project in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic. The LSU equipment manager is attempting to limit airflow in the football team's helmets without inhibiting a player's ability to see or breathe — a task made even more challenging by the muggy co… Read the full story
DONALDSONVILLE — Contractor Glenn L. Price, a leading challenger to incumbent Donaldsonville Mayor Leroy Sullivan, is awaiting a jury trial on a two-year-old felony theft charge in West Baton Rouge Parish and, if elected this fall, might even take office before a jury determines his guilt or… Read the full story
Baton Rouge Local Events
- Will Sutton: Don't let racist history of medical research stop participation in coronavirus antibody study
- Garey Forster: If Louisiana government asks businesses to sacrifice, it should do the same
- Letters: Don't let virus get in the way of treatment for cancer, other diseases
- Pre-K teacher in New Orleans: These things have to happen before New Orleans schools open
- Letters: AP on Trump flunks test of impartial newswriting
- Letters: In Baton Rouge, work wears on for 2016 flood recovery
- Letters: Look at socialism elsewhere before deciding if you want it in U.S.
- Letters: At 50% capacity, can we protect fans in Tiger Stadium?