Lafayette Consolidated Government will receive $279,769 for sales tax losses related to the 2010 Gulf oil disaster.
The settlement is one of several made in recent weeks by cities, parishes and public agencies in a massive class-action lawsuit seeking damages from the Deepwater Horizon explosion.
Assistant City-Parish Attorney Stuart Breaux informed the City-Parish Council on Tuesday that BP had agreed to the settlement figure, which is far less than what some local governments closer to the site of the disaster have received.
Jefferson Parish walked away with $53 million, and New Orleans agreed to a roughly $45 million settlement.
East Baton Rouge Parish settled for just north of $2 million.
The Lafayette Convention and Visitors Commission reached a $61,363 settlement with BP for tourism losses.
BP had agreed to a tentative settlement last month to pay the federal government, Louisiana and four other states a total of $18.7 billion in the class-action lawsuit.
Lafayette’s share comes from a reserve of about $1 billion set up for local governments and other public agencies across the Gulf Coast.
Breaux said 15 percent of Lafayette’s $279,769 settlement — about $41,965 — will be carved out to pay the contingency fee for the legal team that negotiated the deal.
The remainder comes with no strings attached and likely will flow into the general budget for use however the city-parish administration and council see fit, said city-parish Chief Financial Officer Lorrie Toups.
City-parish Chief Administrative Officer Dee Stanley said no plans have been made for the windfall.
Follow Richard Burgess on Twitter, @rbb100.