Interstate 10 from New Orleans to Lafayette will likely stay closed until sometime Thursday, State Police spokesman Doug Cain said Wednesday afternoon.
“We do not expect the temperatures to get high enough nor the sun to be out long enough to thaw the ice on the I-10,” Cain said.
He said temperatures of 36 degrees and 37 degrees are not warm enough to thaw out I-10, which has been closed since Tuesday.
However, Cain said that if the weather changes during the next few hours, portions of the interstate could open.
Many area roads and bridges across south Louisiana remain closed Wednesday due to ice.
The Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office reports that conditions remain bad on most roads and overpasses in Lafayette Parish and advises necessary travel only. The Sheriff’s Office is also dealing with a number of morning accidents.
Updated information about road conditions is available at http://www.511la.org or by calling 511. Louisiana State Police road information is available online. Also, check the DOTD Facebook page for information about road conditions.
Check theadvocate.com for updates throughout the day.
Here are some major road closures and openings:
• The John N John Bridge in Crowley on La. 13 has been reopened for traffic.
• In Evangeline Parish: La. 106 is closed between U.S. Route 167 and I-49
• La. 82 southbound at LA 35 is closed
• La. 3147 south of Humble Bridge is closed
• I-10 between milepost 72 and milepost 76 (both directions) is closed
• Bridges and overpasses on U.S. 90 in Iberia and St. Mary Parish closed, traffic detoured to La. 182
• I-49 is open with a lane reduction between milepost #40 (LA 29) and milepost No. 46 (La. 106)
• La. 82 west of La. 35 is closed due to ice
• La. 3147 at Humble Canal Bridge closed
DOTD reports these closings:
• US 90 Railroad Overpass between Rayne and Crowley
• US 90 Overpass at Jeff Davis and Acadia Parish Line (Mermentau Bridge)
• LA 13 Overpass (John N. John) in Crowley
• I-10 East and West between I-10/I-49 Split and the St Martin parish line
• LA 3184 in both directions at LA 3073 (Railroad overpass bridge)
• LA 733 between LA 92 and VINCENT RD
St. Landry Parish:
(Reduced to One Lane) All I-49 North of US 190
• All Overpasses on Highway 90 (Detoured to on/off ramps)
St. Martin Parish:
I-10 East and West between the Lafayette Parish line and the Iberville parish line
LA 82 West of LA 35
LA 314 south of the Humble Canal Bridge
(Impassable) LA 92 between US 167 and the Milton Bridge