Six hours after he was released from jail on a DWI count, a Duson man believed to be drunk drove head on into another car Friday, killing its 52-year-old driver, State Police said.
Michael Fontenot, 47, was arrested on vehicular homicide in the crash at 5:30 p.m. on La. 3042 near the intersection with Lincoln Road in Evangeline Parish that took the life of Arleen Soileau, of Ville Platte.
State Police said Fontenot was driving a 2008 Mazda MZ6 westbound and, as both vehicles entered a curve, crossed the center line and struck Soileau in a near head-on collision. Both drivers were unrestrained at the time of the crash.
Soileau was pronounced dead on scene by the Evangeline Parish Coroner’s Office. Fontenot suffered moderate injuries and was air lifted to an Alexandria hospital for treatment, State Police said.
On Thursday, Fontenot had been booked on first-offense DWI, careless operation and an open alcoholic container violation. He was released after posting bond, State Police said.
Once he is released from the hospital, State Police said, he will be booked again, this time on vehicular homicide, reckless operation, driving left of center, open alcoholic container, expired driver’s license, no seat belt and no insurance.
Suspect in Algiers shooting death arrested in Broussard
An Algiers man suspected in the Thursday killing of a 28-year-old woman was arrested Friday morning at a Broussard-area hotel, State Police said.
Abbie Head, 62, is accused of fatally shooting the woman just after 9 p.m. Thursday in front of an Algiers home in the 1500 block of General Collins Avenue, the New Orleans Police Department reported.
Head is accused of shooting the woman twice with a shotgun before fleeing in his pickup truck, NOPD spokesman Frank B. Robertson III said. The two were having an argument in the driveway of the home, where the woman had gone to visit a family member.
State Police received information from NOPD around 4 a.m. Friday that Head was in the Broussard area and was armed and suicidal, State Police spokesman Brooks David said.
Head was located at a local hotel and was arrested without incident, David said. Head was booked on a count of second-degree murder at St. Martin Parish jail, where he’ll be held until he’s taken to New Orleans.
Police have not released the victim’s identity.
4 killed in house fire Thursday in Marksville
A man, his two children and his mother were killed late Thursday night after a fire tore through their home in the 600 block of Bill Belt Road in Marksville.
Stanley Charrier, 32, perished in the fire, as did his 62-year-old mother, Catherine Charrier, his 9-year-old son, Carlin, and his 12-year-old stepdaughter, Emily Graham, the State Fire Marshal’s Office said.
Stanley Charrier’s wife and the children’s mother, Monique Charrier, was at work when the fire broke out at 11 p.m., the Marshal’s Office said.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Henderson man booked on drug, gun counts
A Henderson man was booked on numerous drug counts Friday morning after narcotic agents with the St. Martin Parish Sheriff’s Office executed a narcotics search warrant on Huval Lane in Breaux Bridge.
Toby Gautreaux, 40, was arrested ater agents recovered what’s described in the Sheriff’s Office news release as a significant amount of methamphetamine and alprazolam as well as counterfeit money and several assault weapons.
Bank robbery suspects jailed in St. Martin
Two Crowley men accused of robbing a St. Martinville bank Thursday were booked into the St. Martin Parish Jail, KATC-TV reported.
Kerwin Morris, 46, and 54-year-old Abdul Wali Malik Udin, 54, were booked on one count each of first-degree robbery, according to KATC-TV. They’re accused of robbing the MidSouth Bank on Port Street.
Teens arrested in theft of unlocked Lexus
Broussard Police said two 16-year-old boys arrested Thursday are accused of stealing a luxury car left unlocked with the keys inside.
The Jan. 8 theft of a 2010 Lexus L46 from a Broussard home on Jan. 8 and found abandoned in St. Martin Parish a few days later, Police Chief Brannon Decou said in a news release.
The teens drove the Lexus to Westlake before returning to the Acadiana area and abandoning the car, Decou said. The boys were booked into the Lafayette Parish Juvenile Detention Center on one count each of theft of a motor vehicle.
Lafayette Correctional Center bookings
Arrests posted Jan. 30, 2015, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s website:
- KEVIN RALPH ANDRUS: 37, of the 2800 block of Louisiana Avenue, Lafayette. He was booked on hold for extradition.
- JONATHAN DANIEL BENNETT: 29, of the 1200 block of Victoria Street, Scott. He was booked on operating a vehicle while under suspension for prior offenses.
- MEGAN D. BRASHEARS: 48, of the 200 block of Mallard Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- CHRISTOPHER CHARLES BROUSSARD: 36, of the 200 block of Cantal Drive, Carencro. He was booked on attempted possession of a firearm on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.
- MICHAEL RAY BROUSSARD: 26, of the 1100 block of North Bienville Street, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts of simple burglary.
- CHRISTINA CLOSTIO: 30, of the 1500 block of Louisiana Avenue, Lafayette. She was booked on aggravated battery.
- JOSHUA LEE DAMOND: 23, of the 100 block of Claiborne Street, Lafayette. He was booked on criminal trespass and distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics.
- JEFFREY ALAN DEMPSEY: 28, of the 23 block of Morning Glory Lane, Lafayette. He was booked on felony illegal possession of stolen things; misdemeanor theft; and probation violation.
- JERMAINE RASHAD DUCHANE: 27, of the 200 block of Ovey Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft.
- OCEAN GRICE: 21, of the 500 block of Laura Street, Opelousas. He was booked on careless operation; two counts of flight from an officer; aggravated flight from an officer; no proof of insurance in vehicle; and simple criminal damage to property.
- CHRISTOPHER HEBERT: 62, of the 25 block of Sixth Street, Lafayette. He was booked on entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden; prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia); and vagrancy.
- YUSEF JOSEPH HILL: 24, of the 2100 block of Edia Street, Maurice. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- CEDRICK JAMES JACKSON: 41, of the 100 block of Street Of Love, Lafayette. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics.
- BRENNEN JOUBERT: 20, of the 1400 block of West Willow, Lafayette. He was booked on attempted simple rape; home invasion; misdemeanor stalking; and unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling.
- ANNA LEACH: 25, of the 500 block of Mount Vernon Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and speeding 11 to 15 mph above the limit.
- JASON B. LEGER: 38, of the 500 block of C Gazette, Scott. He was booked on two counts for Acadia Parish.
- MATTHEW CHARLES LEGER: 27, of the 700 block of Royale Drive, Jennings. He was booked on for Vermilion Parish.
- QUINCY JOSEPH LIVINGS: 35, of the 600 block of Elizabeth Street, New Iberia. He was booked on hold for court.
- CLISHAUN DAUNJA LONG: 19, of the 13274 block of West Willow, Lafayette. He was booked on having no safety belt.
- ARTISIA MALBREAUX: 21, of the 200 block of Nashua Drive, Carencro. She was booked on municipal purposes.
- BRIAN LEE MARKHAM: 24, of the 100 block of Ridgeview Road, Broussard. He was booked on two counts for St. Martin Parish and municipal purposes.
- MALCOLM JAMAL MARTIN: 25, of the 100 block of South Orleans, Lafayette. He was booked on shoplifting and warrant/bench warrant.
- SMITTY B. NARCISSE JR.: 30, of the 900 block of South Orange Street, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- JAMES PICKNEY: 53, of the 200 block of Martin Luther King Drive, Port Barre. He was booked on failure to obey traffic control; fugitive; operating a vehicle with a suspended license; and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- ANGELEE CATHERINE RICHARD: 62, homeless, Lafayette. She was booked on probation violation.
- JOSEPH RUCCI: 49, of the 100 block of Lockridge Drive, Broussard. He was booked on felony unauthorized use of access card as theft.
- WADE D. SALTERS JR.: 50, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden.
- JONATHON M. SAMPY: 34, of Sunset Street, Lafayette. He was booked on parole violation.
- LEROY LOUIS SCHEXNAYDER JR.: 42, of the 200 block of Lawman Road, Scott. He was booked on four counts of misdemeanor theft.
- TROY JOSEPH SMITH: 37, of the 400 block of Woodrow Street, Lafayette. He was booked on three counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- SHANNON ADAM SUIRE: 42, of the 5300 block of Decon Road, Youngsville. He was booked on felony domestic-abuse child endangerment.
- KENDRA TALLEY: 34, homeless, Lafayette. She was booked on hold for the Department of Corrections.
- STEPHANIE TORRES: 24, of the 700 block of Malapart Road, Carencro. She was booked on fugitive.
- PAUL VERNON TRAHAN: 25, of the 100 block of North Montgomery Street, Kaplan. He was booked on hold for court.
Steve Allen Trahan: 43, of the 400 block of Bayou Tortue Road, Broussard. He was booked on accessory to second-degree murder.
Dillon Wade Trahan: 21, of the 400 block of Bayou Tortue Road, Broussard. He was booked on second-degree murder.
Gayla Veail: 49, homeless, Forset, Texas. She was booked on three counts of fugitive.
Michael Sidney Wiley: 25, of the 1000 block of Daugereau Road, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics; misdemeanor distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics; and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
Frank Zavala: 21, of the 100 block of Belle Fontaine, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace by intoxication.
Germaine Jatoya Zeno: 29, of the 200 block of Larimer Street, Lafayette. She was booked on home invasion and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.