An Opelousas woman was found dead late Friday night after a house fire at a Wayne Street house, according to KATC-TV.
Opelousas firefighters responded to the house, which was engulfed in flames when they arrived at about 10:15 p.m. Friday in the 600 block of Wayne Street. After the fire was extinguished, firefighters found the victim, an 84-year-old woman.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
The name of the victim has not been released.
Driver arrested in wreck that killed passenger
A Lake Arthur man was arrested Saturday and accused of vehicular homicide after the vehicle he was driving crashed, killing an unrestrained passenger, according to KATC-TV.
State Police responded on Saturday to a single-vehicle crash on Broadmore Road near Trailer Town Road about a half-mile north of Lake Arthur in Jefferson Davis Parish. The initial investigation revealed a 2004 Toyota pickup truck was traveling north on Broadmore Road when the driver, 29-year-old Robert Leleux II, of Lake Arthur, lost control of the vehicle. Once he began to lose control, Leleux overcorrected, causing the vehicle to flip.
One of the passengers, 26-year-old Brandon J. Whitlow, of Lake Arthur, was ejected from the vehicle. Whitlow was not wearing a seat belt and was pronounced dead at the scene by the Jefferson Davis Parish Coroner’s Office.
Another passenger in the vehicle received minor injuries.
Leleux was treated at a hospital for moderate injuries. He was booked into the Jefferson Davis Parish Jail on counts of vehicular homicide, vehicular negligent injuring, first-offense DWI, careless operation and failure to wear a seat belt.
Impairment and excessive speed are suspected factors in the crash, State Police said. A toxicology sample was obtained from Leleux and will be submitted for analysis, State Police said. The crash remains under investigation.
Arrests posted Nov. 15, 2015, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- LESTER JONTE ANGUS: 18, of the 300 block of Latin Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on possession of a firearm or carrying concealed weapon by a person convicted of felonies; possession with intent to distribute Schedule I substance; and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- GLENN BATISTE: 44, of the 100 block of Jerry Lane, Sunset. He was booked on criminal trespass.
- APRIL BEAUDEAUX: 26, of the 10847 block of North La. 82, Abbeville. She was booked on three counts for Vermilion Parish and possession of marijuana.
- MATRESSA MARIE BOB: 45, of the 200 block of West Foch Street, Lafayette. She was booked on disturbing the peace.
- ALLISON B. BREAUX: 35, of the 100 block of Graham Street, Opelousas. She was booked on OWI child endangerment.
- CORY BREAUX: 39, of the 100 block of Graham Street, Opelous. He was booked on OWI child endangerment; expired motor vehicle inspection; and operating a vehicle with a suspended license.
- JUAN CORONADO: 37, of the 600 block of Colorado, Duson. He was booked on a fugitive warrant.
- RANDY J. DARBY: 35, of the 100 block of Leisure Lane, Lafayette. He was booked on a warrant/bench warrant.
- JORDAN JAMAL DEAN: 27, of the 100 block of Vieux Orleans Circ Street, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts of possession of marijuana; and possession with intent to distribute Schedule I substance.
- ELIAS DIAZ: 26, of the 100 block of Limoges Street, Lafayette. He was booked on Schedule II narcotics.
- JEFFERY WAYNE DOUGLAS: 54, of the 300 block of Harvest Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods and on a fugitive warrant.
- ROBERT LEE FOREMAN: 50, of the 100 block of Togby Mouton, Duson. He was booked on a warrant/bench warrant.
- JERMAINE B. FRANCIS: 27, of the 300 block of East Third Street, Broussard. He was booked on municipal purposes; two counts of possession with intent to distribute Schedule I substance; and resisting an officer.
- ALTRAYVON JAMIL GABRIEL: 18, of the 300 block of East Simcoe, Lafayette. He was booked on felony Schedule I narcotics.
- RONALD JAMES GEORGE: 30, of the 1138 block of Madeline Avenue, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor Schedule I narcotics and Schedule II narcotics.
- LEON JOSEPH GLAUDE JR.: 37, of the 100 block of Conway Street, New Iberia. He was booked on three counts of fugitive and on two warrants/bench warrants.
- SHERRI LEBLANC: 34, of the 15 block of Clematis Street, Lafayette. She was booked on four warrants/bench warrants.
- SARAH LEDAY: 32, of the 200 block of Shady Parkway, Lafayttee. She was booked on three counts of misdemeanor issuing worthless checks.
- JIHUA LIAN: 45, of the 200 block of Johnston Street, Lafayette. He was booked on simple battery.
- JOHN JOSEPH PREIS: 44, of the 100 block of Marla Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on three counts of criminal trespass and for Iberia Parish.
- TYLER ROMERO: 21, of the 12419 block of Hutchinson Road, Maurice. He was booked on criminal trespass; illegal possession of stolen firearms; and simple criminal damage to property.
- THERMAN T. THIBODEAUX: 36, of the 300 block of East Simcoe Street, Lafayette. He was booked on contraband; three counts for St. Martin Parish; and possession of marijuana.
- JENNIFER L. VALLOT: 43, of the 400 block of Monroe Street, Broussard. She was booked on Schedule II narcotics; municipal purposes; and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- MILSON JAMES SR. WASHINGTON SR.: 53, of the 600 block of Maringy Court, Duson. He was booked on aggravated battery and prohibited acts.