laf fire dept stock.JPG

A woman critically injured in a West Willow Street apartment fire has been released from the hospital, authorities say.

Lafayette Fire spokesman Alton Trahan said the 57-year-old woman is recovering well after her release Monday. Firefighters discovered the woman unconscious from smoke inhalation after a neighbor reported smoke coming from her unit at the Willow Park Apartments around 2 a.m. Sept. 3.

Investigators concluded the fire started after a cigarette was improperly discarded in a small waste basket in the living room. There was not a working smoke detector in the apartment, Trahan said. The fire was ruled an accident.

Email Katie Gagliano at kgagliano@theadvocate.com