A Lafayette Parish grand jury on Wednesday declined to indict a Lafayette man accused in the fatal shooting death of a Sunset man earlier this year.
Jordan Bernard, 21, was accused of manslaughter in the March 21 shooting death of 24-year-old Albert Gilbert.
Lafayette Police in March said Bernard surrendered in the shooting and said Bernard was involved with an altercation with Gilbert before the shooting.
“The evidence (presented at the grand jury hearing) raised issues about whether there would be sufficient proof to establish proof beyond a reasonable doubt,” 15th Judicial District Attorney Keith Stutes said Wednesday.
As law dictates, the case will remain closed unless new evidence or facts are presented, Stutes said.
Police said they found Gilbert lying in the front yard of a residence in the 200 block of Mercer Street with multiple gunshot wounds. He died at an area hospital.