A mobile home in Lafayette Parish remains almost completely undamaged after the surrounding field caught fire Sunday, March 4, 2018. 

A grass fire in Lafayette Parish just missed a mobile home Sunday afternoon, but firefighters arrived in time to save the structure from extensive damage.

The Scott Volunteer Fire Department responded around 3:45 p.m. to the 200 block of Rue Novembre in Lafayette Parish in response to reports of a grass fire moving quickly toward a home, according to a news release from Scott Fire Chief Chad Sonnier.

Investigators determined that the fire in a large field started when the homeowner started burning trash near long dry grass.

Sonnier said the wind helped spread the fire, which destroyed one shed.

When firefighters arrived, the flames were reaching within one foot of the mobile home, Sonnier said. They quickly extinguished the fire, which caused only minimal damage to the building.

Compiled from staff reports. To contact a crime reporter at The Advocate, email policereporters@theadvocate.com or call (225) 388-0369.