The third and deciding game in the Class 5A state regional between archrivals Acadiana and Lafayette High was representative of many games in the Acadiana area that have been plagued by rain.

With the Lions squaring their best-of-three series on Saturday with a 7-2 victory, it was the intent of both teams to finish their series with the winner advancing to the quarterfinal round.

However, they still haven’t gotten the opportunity, with heavy rains in the area pushing proposed start times back four times Saturday, including a change of venue from Lafayette High to Louisiana-Lafayette’s M.L. “Tigue” Moore Field.

They were scheduled again to meet on Sunday with the same result — another postponement, prompting Acadiana and Lafayette to try and conclude their series Monday at 3:30 p.m. at Moore Field.

Adding to the intrigue of the series is the potential for school closures in Lafayette Parish on Monday because of flooding in different parts of the parish. In the event students are unable to attend school, they would not be permitted to participate in the game without approval from the LHSAA.

The state’s governing body for high school athletics ruled Sunday that Teurlings Catholic was one of three teams — the others being Erath and Episcopal — that advanced to the next round in their respective classifications.

No. 1 Teurlings defeated Livonia 14-2 on Friday and led 9-0 in the second inning Saturday in Game 2 when the game was halted by rain and couldn’t be rescheduled.

Erath (27-8) defeated University High on Friday 10-6 in Game 1 of their best-of-three Class 3A state regional series.

They were scheduled to resume their series Saturday at 11 a.m. when a deluge hit the area just after that scheduled time and rapidly made the field unplayable with standing water in the outfield.

First-year Eratch coach Jeremy Picard said the series was rescheduled for Sunday at 3 p.m. at St. Thomas More when heavy rains came and forced the postponement the game.

Because the two teams were only able to complete one game by the LHSAA’s deadline at midnight Sunday, the series reverted back to the first game winner, which was Erath.

“When St. Thomas More wasn’t playable, we tried to find another place in the area, and it wasn’t feasible with the rain that we got,” Picard said.

The news was met with mixed emotions for Picard, who in his first season guided Erath to a school record for wins and now to the program’s first state quarterfinal appearance.

No. 5 Erath travels to No. 4 South Beauregard in a best-of-three series that starts Friday with a doubleheader at 5:30 p.m. and continues, if necessary, on Sunday.

“As a coach you want to play it through by all means if you can and declare a winner,” Picard said. “I’m very excited for my kids. They put in the work and did what they needed to win Game 1.”

Nick Fontenot contributed to this report