As Acadiana residents prepare for Tropical Storm Barry, which could be a Category 1 Hurricane by the time it makes landfall Saturday morning, there are sandbags available in multiple locations.
Residents wishing to sandbag their property may access sandbags at one of two locations: North District sandbagging is at the compost facility, at 400 N. Dugas Road (located off North University Avenue) and South District sandbags will be available at 1017 Fortune Road in Youngsville. Sandbags will be available throughout the weekend in Lafayette Parish during daytime hours at the two separate locations with two temporary satellite locations to be announced soon. The sites are "self-bagging," meaning the bags and sand are provided to Lafayette Parish residents free, at no charge, but residents will need to supply their own manpower and shovel. Residents are asked to limit their sandbags to four bags per exterior door, with a maximum of 20 sandbags per household.
On Thursday morning, these additional temporary sandbag sites were opened:
- Baldwin Redi-Mix, located at 2000 E. Broussard Road in Lafayette, near Milton.
- Cajun Field Parking Lot, at W. Congress Street and Bertrand Drive.
- South Regional Library, at 6101 Johnston St. near South City Parkway
St. Martin Parish
There are several sandbag distribution locations for St. Martin Parish. Please be prepared to fill your own sandbags.
- Ruth Bridge, 1035 Ruth Bridge Hwy., open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday.
- Cecilia Park (Paul Angelle Park), 2458 Cecilia Sr. High School Hwy. , open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday.
- 1011 Capritto, open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday.
- 40 Arpent Road, open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday.
- Lower St. Martin Parish, behind the car wash at the corner of Stephensville Road and Hwy. 70, open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday.
- Henderson Park, 1007 Amy St., Henderson, open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday and beginning at 7 a.m. Friday.
- Breaux Bridge, Public Works Annex (Old DOTD site) on W. Refinery off of Berard Street, open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday and beginning at 7 a.m. Friday.
- St. Martinville, City Barn, 600 W. Bridge St., open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday and beginning at 7 a.m. Friday.
- St. Martinville, 2310 North Main Street (old Walmart parking lot), open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday and beginning at 7 a.m. Friday.
- Catahoula, Jim's Conoco, 4529 Catahoula Highway, open 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday.
- Church Point: City barn will be open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday and Friday. Residents should bring shovels. Sand bags and sand will be provided free of charge. Limit three per door. Must show ID and reside in Church Point city limits.
- Crowley: Public Works Building. Starting at 8 a.m., six bags per driver's license will be given out.
Shovels will not be provided and residents should be prepared to fill their own sandbags.
- B.O.M. Fire Station
- Coteau Fire Station
- Delcambre (church St./South Saint Peter St.)
- Grand Marais Fire Station
- Loreauville Park
- Lydia Fire Station
- Jeanerette City Barn
- Jeanerette (Church St./Bourgeois Dr. - behind fire station)
- Rynella Fire Station
This story will be updated.
Acadiana Business Today: Latest tropical storm update shifts path east, which could mean less rain for Acadiana; Steps taken to lower Vermilion River, bayou, swamp levels before tropical rainfall
Acadiana could be spared from the worst of what is now Tropical Storm Barry if it remains on its current path, although it's still too soon to…
Facing the possibility of catastrophic rainfall and flooding from a tropical system, Acadiana officials are taking early steps to lower water …
Cities and parishes across Acadiana are issuing curfews as Tropical Storm Barry prepares to make landfall.
As Acadiana residents prepare for Tropical Storm Barry, which could be a Category 1 Hurricane by the time it makes landfall Saturday morning, …
While we all plan stops on road trips for fuel and restroom breaks, most people don’t give much thought to the cuisine found at a gas station.
Courtesy Ford of Breaux Bridge was named by Ford Motor Company as one of only 323 dealers in the United States to earn the brand’s 2018 Presid…