- BATON ROUGE FOOD TOUR: 6 p.m., downtown. A downtown, walking, guided tour which includes delicious tastings at local restaurants infused with fascinating historical and cultural stories. For details and to make reservations, call (800) 622-3241 or visit batonrougefoodtours.com/tours. An additional tour takes place Thursday at 11 a.m.
- RED STICK FARMERS MARKET: 8 a.m., Main Street Market, Fifth and Main streets. The Advocate contributor Theresa Day will join Chef Celeste Gill for a cooking demonstration inside the market at 10 a.m.
- AUDITIONS FOR TBR’S YOUNG ACTORS PRODUCTION OF ‘THE BOYFRIEND’: 10 a.m., Theatre Baton Rouge, 7155 Florida Blvd. Be prepared to learn and perform a small dance routine during the vocal audition on Saturday. Contact box office at (225) 924-6496 to sign up for an audition.
- FITNESS ROCKS BR: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Cortana Mall, 9401 Cortana Place. Experience a variety of fitness classes. Classes may include dance moves, body weight training, and martial arts to maximize your calorie and fat burn.
- CASA VOLUNTEER ORIENTATION: 11 a.m., Capital Area CASA, 848 Louisiana Ave. For more information, contact email@example.com or visit casabr.org
- MISS TRUDY’S TRAVELING TRUNK SHOW: 11 a.m., Louisiana Art & Science Museum, Adalié Brent Auditorium, 100 S. River Road. Sing, dance and share stories in this interactive program for young children that explores the art and science of the seasons.
- DOCTOR SPARK, THE ROVING EXPLAINER: Noon to 2 p.m., Louisiana Art & Science Museum, 100 S. River Road. Celebrate the international year of light with Doctor Spark and her backpack of surprises.
- BEADING SOCIAL: 6 p.m. Cajun Bead Crafts, 4733 Jones Creek Road. Join the fun and work on your own project. Seating is limited. Call (225) 223-6573 for more information.
- LIVE MMA FIGHT: 7 p.m., Belle of Baton Rouge’s Capital Atrium, 103 France St. Featured fighters are Kyle Bradley and Thomas Webb. Tickets are $30, and VIP tickets are $50.
- BLOOD DRIVE: 6:30 p.m., United Blood Services Donor Center, 8234 One Calais. Receive a coupon for a free Sonic Blast and a T-shirt. Schedule your appointment to donate at bloodhero.com or call (877) UBS-HERO.
BASF KIDS’ LAB: 11 A.M., 1 P.M., 3 P.M. ON SATURDAY, AND 1:30 P.M. AND 3 P.M. ON SUNDAY. LOUISIANA ART & SCIENCE MUSEUM, 100 RIVER ROAD S. EXPERIMENT WITH SOME HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS. FOR MORE INFORMATION, VISIT LASM.ORG.
- BIKE THE WALLS: 1 p.m., Mentorship Academy of Science & Technology, 338 Florida St. Riders will get to enjoy local murals up-close, learn about the artistic processes and themes of each mural. Bring your own bike. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- ‘NATURE CAT’ SCREENING: 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., BREC Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center, 10503 N. Oak Hills Parkway. Preview the new PBS Kids series “Nature Cat” and participate in a craft to take home. For more info, email email@example.com or call (225) 767-4276.
- HISTORY MYTHBUSTERS: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Rosedown Plantation State Historic Site, La. 10, St. Francisville. Site staff will explore commonly-believed myths and present factual information behind each. Through Jan. 28. For more information, visit lastateparks.com.
- SIP & SAUTÉ — BRUNCH NIGHT: 5:30 p.m., Acadiana House Kitchen & Bath Design, 6971 Exchequer Drive. Cook and learn about food with chef Matt Reed. Tickets start at $35. For more information, call (225) 756-2777.
- BASIC BEADING CLASS: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Cajun Bead Crafts, 4733 Jones Creek Road, Suite H. This free class allows patrons to learn how to make jewelry. Seating is limited. Call (225) 223-6573 for more information.
- ECLECTIC TRUTH POETRY SLAM AND OPEN MIC: 7:30 p.m., Arts Council of Greater Baton Rouge, inside the Firehouse Gallery, 427 Laurel St.
- LUNCHTIME LECTURE ‘THE PORTRAIT, THE ARTIST, AND THE PATRON’: Noon, West Baton Rouge Museum, 845 N. Jefferson Ave., Port Allen. Southern regional art historian and visiting professor at LSU Claudia Kheel will give a lunchtime lecture. For more information, visit westbatonrougemuseum.org or call (225) 336-2422.
- CASA VOLUNTEER ORIENTATION: 5 p.m., Capital Area CASA, 848 Louisiana Ave. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit casabr.org.
- SEED BEADING CLASS: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Cajun Bead Crafts, 4733 Jones Creek Road, Suite H. This free class features a new seed bead pattern each week of a bracelet, necklace or earrings. Seating is limited. Call (225) 223-6573 for more information.
- PORTRAITS AND PASTELS: 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m., West Baton Rouge Museum, 845 N. Jefferson Ave., Port Allen. Make your own masterpiece under the guidance of a local professional artist and art educator Jenn Prochaska, who will share techniques in using pastels.
- CAAWS CAT ADOPTIONS: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays, Acadian Village Petco, 3535 Perkins Road. caaws.org
- CAAWS DOG ADOPTIONS: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays, CAAWS Shelter, 6357 Quinn Drive. caaws.org
- CAPITOL PARK MUSEUM: 660 N. Fourth St. “Keeping Time: Extraordinary Images from Louisiana’s Musical Past.” Through May 31. Hours are 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays.
- ‘CAPITOL CITY CONTEMPORARY 2:Text ColorSwatch/NoneStrokeStyle/$ID/SolidText ColorSwatch/NoneStrokeStyle/$ID/SolidText ColorText ColorText ColorText Color The LandscapesText ColorSwatch/NoneStrokeStyle/$ID/SolidText ColorSwatch/NoneStrokeStyle/$ID/SolidText ColorText ColorText ColorText Color’: Through Jan. 10. Louisiana Art & Science Museum, 100 S. River Road. View recent works in both abstract and realist styles of landscapes made by a dozen Baton Rouge artists.
- CAT ADOPTIONS: Noon to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday, Cat Haven Adoption Center, 11130 N. Harrell’s Ferry Road. (225) 636-2680.
- ELIZABETHAN GALLERY: 680 Jefferson Highway. Hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. elizabethangallery.com
- FRAMEWORKS GALLERY: 8501 Highland Road. Hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. For more information, call (225) 769-0582 or visit fwgallery.net.
- ‘FINDING THE FORGOTTEN … IN THE SHADOWS OF THE MIND’: The Gallery at Manship Theatre, Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. This exhibition highlights the need to remember, relate to and reawaken the countless minds shuttered by dementia in the community. Through Jan. 31.
- FW GALLERY AT THE SHAW CENTER: Shaw Center of the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Andrea Pramuk’s architectural renderings will be on display through Feb. 12. For more information, visit fwgallery.net.
- ‘THE CARNIVAL, THE CITY AND THE SEA’: LSU Museum of Art, 100 Lafayette St. An exhibition of Haitian art that runs through March 20. For more information, call (225) 389-7200 or visit lsumoa.org.
- ‘THE PORTRAIT, THE ARTIST AND THE PATRON’: West Baton Rouge Museum, Port Allen. Runs through Jan. 17. The exhibit looks at 19th-century portraiture in Louisiana with works from statewide galleries and private collections.
- ‘25 YEARS OF THE HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE’: Louisiana Art & Science Museum, 100 S. River Road. Runs through Jan. 16. Displays some of the most intriguing images taken by the telescope of far-away stars, galaxies and nebulae over the past 25 years.
- JONES WALKER FOYER: Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Hours are 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday and 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Free. (225) 346-5001.
- LOUISIANA’S OLD STATE CAPITOL: 100 N. Blvd. Hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. (225) 342-0500.
- LSU MUSEUM OF ART: Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St.
- LSU SCHOOL OF ART’S ALFRED C. GLASSELL JR. GALLERY: Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and noon to 5 p.m. Saturday through Sunday. (225) 389-7180.
- PET ADOPTIONS: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Companion Animal Alliance, 2680 Progress Road. (225) 774-7701.
- PET ADOPTIONS: 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, PetSmart, 8660 Airline Highway. Kittens, cats, puppies and dogs are available from the Northside Humane Society. (225) 964-6992.
- PET ADOPTIONS: 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Friends of the Animals Adoption House, 8476 Highland Road. friendsoftheanimalsbr.org
- ‘RAPHAEL SOYER INTIMATE PORTRAITS’:Text ColorSwatch/NoneStrokeStyle/$ID/SolidText ColorSwatch/NoneStrokeStyle/$ID/SolidText ColorText ColorText ColorText Color Louisiana Art & Science Museum, 100 S. River Road, Soupcon Gallery. The paintings on view are intimate portraits of women painted by Soyer at different intervals throughout his lengthy career.
- ‘SOLARIUM’: Louisiana Art & Science Museum, 100 S. River Road, Upper Main Gallery. An innovative art video created by NASA’s media team at the Goddard Space Flight Center. Through April 3.
- SURREAL SALON EXHIBITION: Baton Rouge Gallery, 1515 Dalrymple Dr. Highlights the growing quality and popularity of the pop-surrealist/lowbrow movement in American contemporary art. The work of 60 artists from 23 different states set to be showcased. Through Jan. 28. For more information, visit batonrougegallery.org or call (225) 383-1470.
- WINE WALK: 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Restaurant IPO, 421 Third St. Taste wines and enjoy foods in downtown Baton Rouge. $10 for a wine bracelet and a wine card for the list of venues and the number of tastings. Must be 21 years old. restaurantipo.com
Yelp! BR Pet Adoptions: Noon to 4 p.m. Sundays, and 3 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Petco Acadian Village, 3535 Perkins Road. Applications accepted for adoption approval. (225) 485-9200 or email@example.com
Compiled by Whitney Christy