Kids’ Orchestra will be performing at sites throughout the parish, mostly schools, for its Spring Neighborhood Concert Series.
Concerts will be performed by kindergarten through fifth-grade instrument ensembles and will allow students from each teaching site to showcase their skills to their communities. The series also celebrates the culmination of their hard work throughout the semester.
“There’s a big correlation between higher brain function and those who study music," said Jody Hanet, executive director of Kids’ Orchestra. "We’re equipping children for the future by teaching them to play an instrument. We’re not trying to create 800 professional musicians, we’re trying to create great citizens.”
All performances begin at 5:30 p.m. and are free. The schedule is:
- April 8 — Mayfair Laboratory School, 9880 Hyacinth Ave.
- April 9 — Westdale Heights Academic Magnet School, 2000 College Drive
- April 10 — Park Ridge Academic Magnet School, 5995 Groom Road, Baker
- April 10 — LaSalle Elementary School, 8000 LaSalle Ave.
- April 11 — The Dufrocq School, 330 S. 19th St.
- April 15 — Claiborne Elementary School, 4700 Denham St.
- April 15 — First United Methodist Church, 930 North Blvd. Performance begins at 6 p.m.
- April 16 — Ryan Elementary School, 10337 Elm Grove Garden Drive
- April 17 — Greenbrier Elementary School, 12203 Canterbury Drive
- May 5 — McKinley Middle Magnet School, 1550 Eddie Robinson Sr. Drive. Honors Program performance begins at 4 p.m.
For more information, visit kidsorchestra.org.