Kids’ Orchestra will be performing at seven East Baton Rouge Parish schools in the coming weeks for its Spring 2018 Neighborhood Concert Series.
Youngsters from 24 East Baton Rouge schools comprise the orchestra, and the concerts allow them to showcase their skills and celebrate the culmination of their hard work throughout the semester.
All performances begin at 5:30 pm and are free and open to the public.
The schedule is:
- Tuesday, May 8 — Dufrocq Elementary, 330 S. 19th St.
- Wednesday, May 9 — LaSalle Elementary, 8000 LaSalle Ave.
- Thursday, May 10 — Ryan Elementary, 10337 Elm Grove Garden Drive
- Saturday, May 12 — McKinley Middle Magnet School, 1550 Eddie Robinson Sr. Drive. The Honors program begins at 4 p.m.
- Monday, May 14 — Claiborne Elementary, 4700 Denham St.
- Wednesday, May 16 — Capitol Elementary, 4141 Gus Young Ave.
On Monday, May 14, the Kids' Choir will perform at 6 p.m. at Independence Park Theatre, 7800 Independence Park Drive.
“There’s a big correlation between higher brain function and those who study music," said Jody Hanet, executive director of Kids’ Orchestra. "We’re equipping them for the future by teaching them to play an instrument. We’re not trying to create 800 professional musicians; we’re trying to create great citizens.”
For more information, visit kidsorchestra.org.