Kids’ Orchestra will present 12 performances as part of its Spring 2017 Neighborhood Concert Series beginning Monday, April 24, in addition to a single Spring Honors Concert on May 13.
As part of the Neighborhood Concert Series, nearly 800 students from 21 different Baton Rouge public, private, and charter elementary schools will perform. The series will allow each student to demonstrate musical skills learned throughout yearlong enrollment in Kids’ Orchestra’s after-school programming.
The performances by students in kindergarten through fifth grade will include string, woodwind, brass and percussion instrument demonstrations, as well as choral demonstrations. All concerts are free and open to the public.
The Kids’ Orchestra Spring Honors Concert will be at 4 p.m. Saturday, May 13, at McKinley Middle Academic Magnet, 1550 Eddie Robinson Sr. Drive.
Some 200 select high-performing students comprise the honors ensembles, providing youngsters the opportunity to perform as a group outside of regular after-school instrument or vocal instruction.
Performances begin at 5:30 p.m. in all concerts in the Spring 2017 Neighborhood Concert Series:
- Monday, April 24 — Mayfair Laboratory School, 9880 Hyacinth Ave.
- Tuesday, April 25 — Westdale Heights Academic Magnet, 2000 College Drive.
- Tuesday, April 25 — Magnolia Woods Elementary School, 760 Maxine Drive.
- Wednesday, April 26 — LaSalle Elementary School, 8000 LaSalle Ave.
- Thursday, April 27 — Dufrocq Elementary School, 330 S. 19th St.
- Monday, May 8 — Buchanan Elementary School, 1222 E. Buchanan St.
- Monday, May 8 — Independence Park Theatre, 7800 Independence Blvd.
- Tuesday, May 9 — Ryan Elementary School, 10337 Elm Grove Garden
- Tuesday, May 9 — University Preparatory Elementary School, 5300 Monarch Ave.
- Wednesday, May 10 — Claiborne Elementary School, 4700 Denham St.
- Thursday, May 11 — Capitol Elementary School, 4141 Gus Young Ave.
For more information, visit kidsorchestra.org.