Makes 4 to 6 servings. Recipe is from “From a Southern Oven: The Savories, The Sweets” (Wiley Hardcover, October 2012).
1 large green cabbage (about 3 lbs.)
1 quart water mixed with 1 tsp. salt (salted water)
2 large eggs
1?3 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tbl. melted unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. hot red pepper sauce
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spritz shallow 11/2-quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
2. Cut cabbage into eight wedges through the root end. Bring salted water to a boil in large heavy nonreactive saucepan, add cabbage, cover, and cook 10 minutes. Drain very well and set aside until cool enough to handle.
3. Meanwhile, whisk eggs in large bowl until frothy. Gradually whisk in cheese, heavy cream, butter, salt, hot red pepper sauce, and black pepper and continue whisking until well blended.
4. Slice off any cabbage core that is still firm and discard. Cut cabbage into 1/4-inch pieces and toss with egg mixture. Transfer to casserole and spread evenly.
5. Slide onto middle oven shelf and bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes until wisps of cabbage on top begin to brown.
6. Serve at once as an accompaniment to roast turkey, chicken, pork, beef or lamb.