Eggplant Mozzarella Bake
Yields 6 servings. Recipe is by Teresa Day.
1 pound ground Italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1, 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 medium eggplant, cut into ¼-inch rounds
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 8-ounce ball fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into ¼ slices (use a serrated cheese knife)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Grease a 9-by-12 casserole dish.
2. In large skillet or Dutch oven, sauté sausage, onion, garlic and mushrooms.
3. Once sausage is cooked through, stir in tomato paste until fully incorporated.
4. Spoon meat mixture into the dish and spread to cover the bottom.
5. Layer eggplant slices then tomato slices then mozzarella slices.
6. Sprinkle seasoning blend over the cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is browned and bubbly. Serve warm.