Homemade Yellow Cake
Serves 12-16. Makes 3 (8-inch) layers. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
2 cups sugar
2 sticks butter
4 cups flour
½ tsp. salt
4 tsps. baking powder
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Chocolate Filling and Frosting (see recipe)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Grease and flour 3 (8-inch) cake pans. For best results, have the eggs, butter and milk at room temperature.
3. Cream sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
4. Sift dry ingredients together. Set aside.
5. Add eggs, one at a time, to the sugar and butter mixture.
6. Add dry ingredients alternately with the milk. Add the vanilla.
7. Pour into prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool layers in cake pan for 5 minutes then turn out onto cake rack to cool completely before frosting.
Chocolate Filling and Frosting (for 3-layer cake)
1½ sticks butter
2?3 cup cocoa (add extra if you like darker chocolate)
4½ cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup milk (you may need a little less)
1½ tsps. vanilla
1. In small saucepan melt butter, then stir in cocoa. Stir until well blended.
2. At this point I pour the butter-chocolate mixture into my mixer bowl and alternately add the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla, beating after each addition, until mixture is spreading consistency. Add milk sparingly at the end. You will have to judge when mixture is thick enough to spread easily.
3. Place first layer on cake plate and cover top with frosting mixture. Continue with second and third layers.
4. Continue frosting top and sides of cake