Yields 1 dozen. This is a savory muffin with a kick, and also makes a good side dish or snack.
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup stone-ground, whole-grain cornmeal
2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbls. sugar
4 ozs. reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup nonfat milk
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup chopped green chiles
3 to 4 tbls. sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, well drained and chopped small
Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Mix well. Stir in shredded cheese and make a well in the center of dry ingredients.
3. In a small bowl, mix milk, oil, beaten egg, green chiles and sun-dried tomatoes.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix only until all ingredients are moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until muffins are lightly browned on top. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 169 calories, 7 grams fat, 0 grams trans fat, 24 milligrams cholesterol, 297 milligrams sodium, 20 grams carbohydrate, 1 gram fiber, 6 grams protein.