Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese
9 servings. Recipe is from Green Giant with minor adaptation by Corinne Cook.
1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh finely chopped garlic or 1 tablespoon minced garlic from a jar (I used less when testing)
1½ bags (16 ounces each) Green Giant Fresh Cauliflower Crumbles (6 cups)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 cups vegetable broth
1½ cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese (6 ounces)
1½ cups shredded white cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
¼ cup whipping cream
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Spray 9x13-inch (3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cook pasta as directed on package. Drain, reserving ½ cup pasta liquid to thin sauce, if needed.
3. Meanwhile, in 6-quart saucepan, heat oil over low heat. Stir in garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes until garlic is soft. Add cauliflower, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and broth. Turn heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 to 12 minutes until cauliflower is tender.
4. In food processor or blender, add 4 cups of the cooked cauliflower. Pulse 1 to 2 minutes until cauliflower is smooth. If needed, pulse in reserved pasta liquid to thin sauce.
5. Return cauliflower sauce to saucepan. Over low heat, stir in 1 cup of the Gouda cheese and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese until melted.
6. Remove from heat and stir in cream and nutmeg.
7. Spoon macaroni and cheese into prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining Gouda and cheddar cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and beginning to brown.