Chicken and Hearts of Palm (Or Artichokes) Over Spinach
Serves 4 (1/2 chicken breast per person). Recipe is by Corinne Cook. I make the sauce first so that it’s ready when the chicken is browned.
1 cup whipping cream
¼ cup white wine
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 green onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped hearts of palm or coarsely chopped artichokes, well drained
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb. fresh baby spinach leaves
1. Sauce: In small to medium skillet, heat whipping cream and wine over medium/high heat until it comes to a boil, stir and reduce heat to simmer. Cook, stirring often until mixture is reduced by 1?3. It will begin to thicken slightly as the water cooks out. Remove from heat and season lightly with salt and pepper. Add green onion and hearts of palm or artichokes and set aside until ready to heat and serve over chicken.
2. Place 1 chicken piece between 2 pieces of waxed paper, plastic wrap or in a plastic bag and pound gently with flat side of mallet or bottom of glass to flatten to evenly. Repeat with other pieces of chicken. Pat dry with paper towel and season to taste with salt and pepper. Lightly sprinkle each side with flour and set aside.
3. In large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil until hot. Brown chicken pieces on both sides.
4. While chicken is browning, in another skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil with the garlic and, when the oil is infused with the garlic, quickly sauté the spinach until it’s wilted. Season with salt and black pepper.
5. To serve: place serving of spinach on plate, place chicken on top and top with desired amount of warmed sauce.