Baked Steelhead Trout With Asparagus, Potatoes and Herbs
Serves 4. Recipe is by Sara Moulton.
11/2 bunches asparagus (about 11/2 pounds), tough ends discarded and stems peeled if thicker than 1?3 inch
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Salt and ground black pepper
11/4 pounds Yukon Gold or large boiling potatoes, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick (leave the skins on)
11/2 pounds skinned steelhead trout, divided into 4 portions
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into thin slices
1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as dill, chives, tarragon, basil or a mix
1. Heat the oven to 450 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
2. On the prepared baking sheet, toss the asparagus with 2 teaspoons of the oil and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Spread the asparagus in an even layer. Bake on the oven’s top rack until starting to brown and are crisp-tender, about 7 minutes for thicker asparagus, 3 minutes for thin asparagus. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. On the baking sheet, toss the potatoes with another 2 teaspoons of the oil and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Spread the potatoes in an even layer. Bake on the oven’s top rack until barely golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and reduce the temperature to 400 F.
4. Arrange the fish pieces in one layer on top of the potatoes, sprinkle them with the lemon juice, drizzle with the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil, then season with salt and pepper. Set the pan on the oven’s middle shelf and bake for 5 minutes. Add the asparagus to the sheet pan and bake another 2 to 3 minutes, or until the fish is just cooked through.
5. Transfer the fish to 4 serving plates and top each portion with a few slices of butter. Transfer a quarter of the potatoes and asparagus to each of the plates, then sprinkle the herbs over each serving.
Nutrition information per serving: 470 calories; 220 calories from fat (47 percent of total calories); 24 g fat (7 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 100 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrate; 6 g fiber; 6 g sugar; 36 g protein; 430 mg sodium.