Squash au Gratin
Serves 6-8. Recipe is from Fearrington House Inn, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, and featured in The Advocate’s 1999 “New Century Celebration Food Focus” booklet.
1 cup (1 medium) onion, thinly sliced or chopped
2 lbs. yellow squash, thinly sliced
1 tsp. salt, or desired amount
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tbls. sugar
½ cup milk
8 ozs. cheddar cheese, grated
1 to 2 tbls. butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray 2-quart baking dish with butter or nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Add about 1-inch water to bottom of medium saucepan. Bring to a boil then add onions and squash. Cook until almost tender, about 2 minutes. Drain well.
3. Place partially cooked onions and squash in prepared baking dish. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
4. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, sugar, milk and cheese. Whisk until well blended. Pour over the squash mixture and dot with thin slices of butter.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes in preheated 350 F oven. Cut into squares to serve.