For the duck:
1 pod garlic
1 tbl. olive oil
4 (4- to 6 oz.) duck breasts
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1. Place garlic pod in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and roast in preheated, 350-degree oven for about 25 minutes OR until fragrant. Remove from oven and let cool.
2. When garlic is cool, open the pods and mash the roasted garlic toes to form a paste. Spread an even amount of the paste under the fat layer of each duck breast, then sprinkle breasts on both sides with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Preheat grill to medium high. Lay duck breasts, fatty side down, on hot grill and grill for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or just to get a good sear. Remove from grill and continue cooking in a preheated, 350-degree oven for 5 minutes. (You will place the fatty side up in the oven)
4. Remove breasts from oven, braise with pomegranate glaze (recipe follows) then return to oven for 5 more minutes, or until an internal meat thermometer reads at least 160 degrees. Let meat rest while you prepare the rest of the salad.
For the glaze:
1 cup pomegranate juice
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
¼ tsp. cumin
6 to 8 whole black peppercorns or ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Pour juice into a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until it is reduced by half.
2. Add vinegar and spices, stir and continue to simmer until it coats the back of spoon.
3. Remove from heat, allow to cool. Use to baste duck breast and to drizzle over meat and salad.
For the salad:
1 tbl. minced shallots
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1?3 cup olive oil pinch salt and pepper
4 cups mixed salad greens
1 apple, chopped
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup walnuts or pecans
½ cup fresh pomegranate seeds
1. Whisk together first four ingredients and set aside.
2. In a large salad bowl, toss greens and apples with dressing.
3. To plate: Arrange greens, dividing evenly, among four plates. Top with thinly sliced duck breast. Sprinkle with nut and seeds. Drizzle with pomegranate glaze.
Note: Once it is plated, you will top the salad with the nuts and seeds. If you toss them in with the greens and apples, they will pool at the bottom of the bowl and will not look as pretty on the plate.