Serves 8. Recipe is from Corinne Cook, who says, “This recipe has small ‘puffs’ — not a lot — of batter over the fruit. Double the batter ingredients if you like a ‘cakey’ topping.”
½ cup sugar
1 tbl. cornstarch
2 tbls. water
4 cups fresh berries (all the same berry or a combination)
Juice of ½ lemon
¼ tsp. almond extract
1 tbl. butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
¼ tsp., salt
½ tsp. baking powder
2 tbls. butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten
Pinch of nutmeg
Small dollop of vanilla frozen yogurt or ice cream, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Set aside a 2-quart, square or round glass baking dish.
2. In 2-quart saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, water, and berries. Stir and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 1 minute then remove from heat and add lemon juice.
3. Stir in almond extract and butter. Pour into baking dish.
4. In medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, butter and beaten egg. Add nutmeg and continue stirring until batter is smooth.
5. Drop by spoonfuls over berries.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until batter is lightly browned. Can be served warm or at room temperature. Top warm cobbler with small dollop of frozen yogurt or ice cream, if desired.