ADVOCATE TESTED RECIPE
Serves 4. I think this recipe is a combination of Rose Lorio’s recipe and a New Orleans recipe. You can add or subtract from the recipe easily.
4 tablespoons butter
1?3 cup chopped onion
5 to 7 small, white mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese, divided
Salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
4 slices white bread, toasted
4 slices cooked, sliced turkey
4 slices ham
6 to 8 slices bacon, crisply fried
1?3 cup chopped green onions
½ cup Parmesan cheese
1. In medium skillet, melt butter and sauté onion and sliced mushrooms. When the onion and mushrooms are tender, sprinkle flour in skillet and while stirring, slowly add the half-and-half. Stir constantly until mixture is smooth and thickened.
2. Add half of the Cheddar cheese (1/2 cup). Continue stirring until cheese in melted. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and cayenne. Remove from heat.
3. Place four slices of bread on cookie sheet. Top each with a layer of turkey, ham and bacon.
4. Spoon generous amount of white sauce over each sandwich. Top with green onions, some of the remaining Cheddar cheese and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake in preheated 375 F oven until top is lightly browned and sauce is hot.