Smoked Provolone Macaroni and Cheese
Yields 8 servings. Recipe is by Teresa Day.
16 ounces macaroni pasta
½ stick butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup flour
2 cups whole milk
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups smoked provolone cheese, shredded
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup Colby Jack cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Bring two quarts of water to a boil in a stock pot and cook pasta until al dente, or cooked, but still firm, about 8 minutes. Drain pasta and return to pot.
3. In another pot, melt butter and oil together. Whisk in flour and cook for five minutes.
4. Slowly stir in milk, one cup at a time, allowing the sauce to thicken between each cup. Cook another five minutes to thicken.
5. Add seasonings then stir in cheeses, reserving the Colby Jack.
6. Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta and stir to coat.
7. Spoon macaroni and cheese into a 9 x 12 buttered casserole dish and top with Colby Jack cheese. Add more if you like.
8. Bake for 20 minutes uncovered. Serve immediately.