Stuffed Pattypan Squash
Makes 6 servings. Recipe is by Teresa Day.
6 pattypan squash
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1½ teaspoons salt, divided2
1 pound Italian sausage, ground
1 small onion, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
8 ounces mushrooms
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups Parmesan cheese
21. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Trim the stems off squash. Turn squash over and slice off the bottom, up to the scallops. Remove the seeds and center pulp.
3. Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small dish. Dip a basting brush in the oil, brush squash with the oil, and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt. Brush baking pan with a little extra oil, then place squash flesh-side down on the pan.
4. Bake 30 minutes.
5. While squash is baking, brown the sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat until done. Drain.
6. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, sauté vegetables2, garlic and mushrooms in remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil until tender.
7. Mix in the drained sausage, pepper, herbs.
8. Stir in 1½ cups Parmesan cheese.
9. Remove squash from the oven and spoon the meat mixture into the hollowed-out squash. Top with remaining ½ cup cheese.
10. Bake 10 minutes or until cheese is golden and melted. Serve immediately.