For grilled avocado:
4 ripe Haas avocados
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the grill to medium.
2. Peel and halve the avocados and remove the pits.
3. Brush avocado halves lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
4. Place avocados down on the grill and grill for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove them and set aside.
For the salad:
4 ears of fresh corn (still in their husks)
2 large ripe Creole tomatoes, chopped
1 fresh jalape?o pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped green onion tops
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tbl. chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat and place the corn in their husks directly onto the grill.
2. Grill for 6 minutes on each side and then remove from grill. Allow the corn to cool before shucking.
3. Place the corn in a bowl and remove the corn from the cob.
4. Add in the chopped tomatoes and jalape?o peppers and set aside.
5. In a small mixing bowl, combine the red onions, green onion tops, lime juice, olive oil and cilantro and whisk to combine.
6. Season with salt and pepper and pour over the salad. Cover and chill.
7. To serve the salad, place the grilled avocados on a platter and fill each one with the tomato and corn salad.
Kitchen Helpers: This recipe sounds a bit more sophisticated than it truly is. It is a good one to teach kids how to cut fresh corn off of the cob and slice fresh avocados.