Farmers Market Breakfast Casserole
Yields 4-6 servings. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
1 pound pork breakfast sausage
1 small onion
1 green bell pepper
2 cups red (new) potatoes, shredded
4 cups shredded cheddar-Monterrey Jack cheese, divided
6 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch or 8-by-8-inch casserole baking dish, depending on how thick you want your casserole.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir sausage, onions, bell peppers and shredded potatoes in the hot skillet until the meat is done and the onions are translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Stir in 2 cups of shredded cheese until melted.
4. In a separate bowl, beat eggs with salt, pepper and garlic.
5. Spread meat and potato mixture into prepared baking dish; pour egg mixture evenly on top.
6. Top with the remaining two cups of cheese.
7. Bake in the preheated oven until bubbling and golden, about 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on thickness.
Pumpkin Pecan Bread
Yields one loaf or 24 muffins. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, sift before measuring
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten until frothy
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups mashed, cooked pumpkin
½ cup chopped pecan pieces
1. Heat oven to 375 F. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg into a bowl.
2. Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy; beat in eggs and vanilla.
3. Blend in mashed pumpkin on low speed.
4. Stir in the sifted dry ingredients one-half cup at a time, blending until batter is smooth after each addition. Fold in pecan pieces.
5. Spoon batter into well-greased and floured loaf pan or paper-lined muffin pan cups. Fill about ⅔ full.
6. For a loaf pan, bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. For muffins, bake 25 minutes.