Persimmon Bread with Lemon Glaze
Makes 1½-quart loaf or 6-cup Bundt. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
3-5 ripe Hachiya persimmons, pureed (1 cup pulp)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon ground all spice
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Mash persimmons or blend in a food processor into 1 cup pulp and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, spices and salt.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, white sugar and brown sugar until fluffy.
5. Beat in egg and vanilla. Turn the mixer to low and stir in persimmon.
6. Stir in dry ingredients until everything is fully incorporated.
7. Pour into a loaf or Bundt pan.
8. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool completely before glazing.
9. To make the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a small bowl. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add additional lemon juice, if needed.
10. Once the cake is cooled, drizzle with glaze and serve.