Pumpkin, Orange, and Cranberry Muffins
Makes 18 (one muffin) servings. Recipe is by Holly Clegg from her "Gulf Coast Favorites" cookbook.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
¾ cup light brown sugar
¼ cup canola oil
½ cup orange juice
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon grated orange zest (rind)
½ cup nonfat plain yogurt
1½ cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven 400 F. Line muffin tins with paper cups or coat with nonstick spray.
2. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
3. In another bowl, combine pumpkin, brown sugar, oil, orange juice, egg and orange zest. Add with yogurt to dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in cranberries.
4. Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling each about ¾ full. Bake 20–25 minutes or until done.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 153, calories from fat 20 percent, fat 4 g, saturated fat 0 g, cholesterol 12 mg, sodium 91 mg, carbohydrate 28 g, dietary fiber 2 g, sugars 12 g, protein 3 g. Diabetic exchanges: 2 starch, ½ fat
Makes 12 squares. Recipe is by Holly Clegg.
1 (6-ounce) package yellow cornbread mix
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup skim milk
1 egg, beaten
½ cup canned pumpkin
1. Preheat oven 400 F. Coat 8-by-8-by-2-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In bowl, combine cornbread mix, sugar and cinnamon. Stir in remaining ingredients, mixing until moistened; don’t over mix.
3. Transfer batter into prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Nutritional info per serving: Calories 84, calories from fat 19 percent, fat 2 g, saturated fat 0 g, cholesterol 16 mg, sodium 244 mg, carbohydrates 15 g, dietary fiber 0 g, total sugars 5 g, protein 2 g. Dietary exchanges: 1 starch
Crawfish Pumpkin Soup
Makes 8 (1-cup) servings. Recipe is by Holly Clegg.
1 onion, chopped
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
4 cups fat-free chicken broth
½ cup skim milk or fat-free half and half
1 (16-ounce) bag Louisiana crawfish tails, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup chopped green onions
1. In large nonstick pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onion over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in pumpkin and broth, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Add milk, crawfish and nutmeg. Season to taste.
3. Cook over low heat 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with green onions.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 88, calories from fat 11 percent, fat 1 g, saturated fat 0 g, cholesterol 78 mg, sodium 259 mg, carbohydrate 7 g, dietary fiber 3 g, sugars 4 g, protein 13 g. Diabetic exchanges: ½ starch, 1½ very lean meat