It's almost time to turn the page on the calendar, and, if you're like me, you want cabbage on your New Year’s Day menu. Cabbage is supposed to bring good fortune, and who doesn't want a few more pennies in their bank?
My meaty and delicious slow-cooker Cabbage Roll Casserole has all of the components of cabbage rolls layered into this mouth-watering-yet-effortless dish.
Instead of spending hours stuffing and rolling cabbage leaves, you just pour all of the ingredients into the slow cooker and a few hours later it's ready to go.
This is comfort food at its best, since I've made it healthy. The cabbage, which almost disappears, adds a moist touch of sweetness to the hearty meal. Keep your recipe trim and terrific by using sirloin. Meat ending in "loin" or "round" are some of your leanest cuts of meat, cutting down on saturated fat.
So, let's start 2018 off right, with good food that's good for you. You're going to want to put this dish into your recipe rotation all year long.
- Check the label to make sure you're getting a low-sugar, low-sodium marinara sauce.
- Cut down on kitchen work by buying pre-chopped onions.
- Try using brown rice to easily boost fiber: 1 cup of brown rice has 3 grams of fiber, while white rice has less than 1 gram of fiber.
- Add black-eyed peas (for good luck) to this recipe, and you'll have another New Year's tradition covered.
- For a vegetarian option, just leave out the meat.
- Start cooking with my trim and terrific crock pot recipes to start off the year.
Holly Clegg, best-selling national cookbook author of the trim&TERRIFIC & Eating Well cookbook series, specializes in easy, healthy, everyday recipes. Visit her website, The Healthy Cooking Blog. Follow her on facebook.com/HollyClegg, instagram.com/holly_clegg and twitter.com/hollyclegg. Email her at email@example.com.