The approach of Tropical Storm Barry has forced a number of closures in the Baton Rouge area. Forecasters have said several inches of rain could fall before early next week.
- LSU announced that the university's buildings will close Friday through Sunday, and all events and classes for that day will be canceled. All classes and events scheduled for those days are cancelled.
- Southern University will be closed on Friday. The university announced Wednesday evening that the Baton Rouge campuses will be closed.
- Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady University is closed Friday.
- The ACT test, commonly use by colleges and universities in its admissions decisions, has canceled exams at a number of locations along the Gulf Coast. See https://www.act.org/content/act/en/products-and-services/the-act/test-day/rescheduled-test-centers.html for a list of closings.
GOVERNMENT AGENCIES & COURTS
- The East Baton Rouge Council on Aging says all senior center locations will be closed Friday. The main office will be open until noon, and only for essential staff. COA officials will be available to answer questions and concerns at (225) 923-8000.
- The East Baton Rouge Parish Library system is closing all branches Friday. Hours on Saturday will be determined later.
- The Mayor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness postponed its BReady Day event that was scheduled for Saturday. A new date has not yet been determined.
- The Louisiana Supreme Court in New Orleans closed for Thursday and Friday and is considering the days legal holidays for purposes of timely filing.
- An expungement event scheduled for downtown Baton Rouge for Saturday has been canceled. The next one will be Sept. 7. Expungements can also be handled during normal business hours on weekdays at the East Baton Rouge Clerk of Court's office at 300 North Blvd. for those not wishing to wait.
- The state's Surplus Property Auction, set for Saturday, has been postponed for a week.
- Baton Rouge City Court will be closed Friday. Defendants due in court will be notified about when to report.
- The East Baton Rouge Parish Clerk of Court's office will be closed Friday.
- The EmployBR Job Fair, set for Friday, is postponed by a week.
- The Board of Trustees for the Louisiana School Employees' Retirement System has postponed its Monday meeting to Tuesday.
- Residential trash and recycling services in East Baton Rouge Parish are cancelled on Saturday.
- All BREC facilities closed until further notice.
- The Baton Rouge Orchid Society Show and Sale, set for the Burden Center on Saturday and Sunday, has been postponed. New dates will be announced.
- The Knock Knock Children's Museum will close at 1 p.m. Friday and be closed Saturday and Sunday.
- The OMT concert and drawings at the Belle of Baton Rouge casino, scheduled for Friday, are canceled.
- La Capitol Federal Credit Union is closing branches Baton Rouge on Saturday
- Neighbors Federal Credit Union is closing all 10 of its branches on Saturday.
- Our Lady of the Lake Physician Group is closing all its clinics on Saturday and Sunday
- American Airlines cancelled all Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport morning flights, but plans to operate noon and later flights on Saturday.
- Delta Airlines expects delays but no cancellations at Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport on Saturday.
- Ochsner Medical Complex - The Grove, Ochsner Health Center Denham Springs South, Ochsner Health Center Prairieville closed on Saturday and is expected to open on Sunday.
- Several Walmart locations across the Baton Rouge metro area are closed on Saturday including one in Port Allen, a neighborhood Walmart on Highland Road near Lee Avenue and five other locations. For a full list click here.