Update, 1:44 p.m.: Firefighters and work crews fixed the leak and cleared the area by 1:40 p.m. Wednesday, said Curt Monte, a Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman. Fourth Street has been reopened.
ORIGINAL STORY: A Baton Rouge Fire Department hazardous material crew reported a small gas leak on Fourth Street and Florida Avenue around noon Wednesday, officials said.
The Fire Department closed one lane of Fourth Street but did not evacuate neighboring buildings, said Curt Monte, a Fire Department spokesman.
The leak is near Chase Bank Tower on the corner of Florida Avenue and Fourth Street.
Baton Rouge Police Sgt. Don Coppola said a patrol officer was flagged down around noon by people on Fourth Street who reported the leak.
Police alerted the Fire Department and Entergy, he said.