The second of the two Marksville deputy marshals indicted in the November shooting death of a young boy is in the process of bonding out of jail on $1 million bail, Avoyelles Parish Sheriff Doug Anderson confirmed.

However, Christopher LaCour, an attorney for Lt. Derrick Stafford, said he’s still completing paperwork to arrange his client’s release.

LaCour said he hopes Stafford can be released from the jail in nearby Rapides Parish on Friday.

“It’s not happening tomorrow (Thursday),” LaCour said. “We’re trying to tie up some paperwork, basically. Once this paperwork is tied up, most likely he will be getting out.”

Stafford, a lieutenant with the Marksville Police Department, was indicted in December along with Norris Greenhouse Jr. on second-degree murder in the Nov. 3 shooting death of 6-year-old Jeremy Mardis and on attempted second-degree murder in the wounding of the boy’s father, Christopher Few.

Both Stafford and Greenhouse, a former Alexandria city marshal, were moonlighting for the Marksville Ward Marshal’s Office at the time of the shooting.

Once released, Stafford will be placed under house arrest, will be required to wear an electronic monitoring device and must surrender any firearms or law enforcement certifications.

Attorneys for Stafford previously asked 12th Judicial District Judge William Bennett to reduce the $1 million bail, arguing that their client and his family couldn’t afford it. The $1 million bail is believed to be the largest set in Avoyelles Parish.

Bennett denied the request , ruling that significantly reducing Stafford’s bail would be “totally unreasonable.”

The officers were arrested Nov. 6 by the State Police following an investigation into the shooting, which came after Stafford, Greenhouse and two other officers cornered Few’s vehicle at the end of a pursuit.

Authorities say Few was unarmed at the time. Video of the shooting captured on another officer’s body camera shows that Few had his “empty hands raised and visible when gunfire becomes audible,” a State Police report that describes the footage says.

Stafford has remained in jail since his arrest. Greenhouse made bail Nov. 24, after a judge ruled that a state law barring attorneys from pledging property for a defendant’s bail shouldn’t apply to Greenhouse’s father, an assistant district attorney in Avoyelles Parish.

Sheriff Anderson said details on how Stafford is leaving jail were sealed by Bennett.

LaCour said the motions were sealed at the defense’s request, in part to protect those helping secure bond for Stafford.

“People have been making certain types of threats,” LaCour said. “We’re just trying to protect people that are helping our client.”

Anderson said he couldn’t say if a third party stepped up with cash or if property was used to secure a bond.

Relatives and an attorney for Few did not immediately return messages seeking comment.

Stafford is suspended without pay from the Marksville Police Department, where he’d worked as a shift supervisor for eight years. Alexandria City Marshal Terence Grines fired both Greenhouse, a full-time deputy marshal, and Stafford, who’d worked part time for his office.