A judge swiftly convicted a Baton Rouge man of second-degree murder Tuesday and sentenced him to life in prison for the 2009 stabbing death of his former girlfriend at an assisted living facility where she worked.

Fredrick Jermaine Taylor, 28, who testified shortly before state District Judge Bonnie Jackson found him guilty as charged, admitted stabbing Allison Vallien in the cafeteria at The Haven at Windermere at 8225 YMCA Plaza on Sept. 4, 2009.

Vallien, 27, had obtained a restraining order against Taylor in October 2007, court records indicate. The order expired in 2008.

Taylor is the father of one of Vallien’s children.

“That was my baby girl,’’ Vallien’s mother, Mary Vallien, said shortly after the judge convicted Taylor. “Our life is still not going to be the same.’’

“I’m glad he got what he got,’’ Rose Vallien, one of Allison Vallien’s sisters, added.

Taylor took the stand in his own defense and told Lyn Legier, one of his attorneys, that he was in love with Allison Vallien and “couldn’t live without her.’’

Taylor said he called Vallien “a hundred something times’’ the night before the killing but his calls went unanswered.

Taylor said he meant to kill himself after stabbing Vallien and would have if he had made it back to his house, but he was apprehended when he walked outside the facility.

“I know what I did was wrong,’’ he said.

Lead prosecutor Stephen Pugh reminded Taylor that a witness testified hearing him tell Vallien - “I told you I’d get you’’ - while he was stabbing her.

Dr. Joel Carney, the forensic pathologist who performed the autopsy on Vallien’s body, testified Monday that Vallien was stabbed 31 times.

“Did you go there to kill her?’’ Pugh asked Taylor.

“I don’t know,’’ Taylor replied.

“Did you grab a knife from the kitchen (at the facility) or bring one with you?’’ the prosecutor inquired further.

“Brought one,’’ Taylor answered.

“Are you sorry that it happened?’’ Pugh asked.

“That’s why I’m up here. To tell the truth,’’ Taylor said.

Pugh told Jackson that Taylor was determined to kill Vallien when he rode his bicycle to the facility and “no one was going to stop him.’’

“If this is true remorse, it’s a little late,’’ the prosecutor said, referring to Taylor’s testimony.

Jackson, who presided over the bench trial, did not leave the bench to consider her decision.

“Clearly if there was a case that did not require deliberation, this is it,’’ she said.

Taylor chose to be sentenced immediately. Second-degree murder carries an automatic life sentence.

Before sheriff’s deputies led Taylor from the courtroom, he said, “I would like to apologize to everybody.’’

Jackson told Taylor that, “When things don’t go your way, you respond by lashing out.’’

Vallien was preparing to serve lunch to residents at the facility when Taylor made his way into the building.

Several of Vallien’s co-workers tried to subdue Taylor by repeatedly hitting him with chairs, but they could not halt the attack, witnesses said.

An East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s detective patrolling the area near the facility saw Taylor - covered in blood - holding a knife and exiting the side door of the facility, sheriff’s officials have said.

East Baton Rouge Parish court records show Taylor allegedly punched Vallien in the face and threatened to kill her on Feb. 10, 2007, at the Belle of Baton Rouge Casino.

The fight occurred when Vallien told Taylor it was time to leave the boat, according to an affidavit of probable cause.